Monday 22 February 2016

Manic Monday #102


[Image Source: HostelWorld]

Today went past at quite an alarming rate, it was midday before I knew what was happening and then I was rushing out of the door home to meet a no-show estate agent.


It seems that when the children return to school all hell breaks loose in the workplace, it's like a sea of people returning and problems manifest themselves in the time they have spent out of the office.


...I'm not too sure what my point is to be honest...


I've been thinking about different cultures quite a bit today and marvelling at how different cultures differ from one another. It is my main motivator for travelling, discovering little traditions or sayings that different places have compels me to go back and explore a little deeper if I'm able to.
It is obviously something that I have been more than aware of throughout my life, and I'm not too sure why it's playing through my mind today more so than others, it may be down me constantly watching the video for Hymn for the Weekend by Coldplay which is set in India during a festival which I'm assuming is based on Holi.


Celebration is vastly different in each country and I think by many comparisons Britain lacks in the celebratory ranks. Birthday's, weddings, festivals and certain holiday dates are celebrated to an extent in the UK but nothing in comparison to how America celebrates Labour Day, how Indian's celebrate Holi Festival of Colours or even how the Swedish celebrate Midsummer.
I'm rather envious of these huge gatherings had by other countries and wish there was something that made me want to club together with a load of Brits and actually say, you know what, I'm proud to be celebrating this together for this day.
The London Olympics in 2012 were wonderful, it really reminded Brits that we do live in an amazingly diverse country and that we are lucky to do so. Its about time we stood together a little more and stopped being afraid to say we are proud to be from the UK and for what it stands for.


I sometimes feel like the government is so overly worried about being P.C all the time that they forget they are allowed to celebrate where they are from.


But that is a whole other kettle of fish for a whole other day!


What are your views on celebration? Is there a specific celebration that you prefer over all others? Or do you prefer to steer clear of celebrations?


Toodles.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment