Wednesday 28 January 2015

To Read Pile

My love for books is strong, I have hundreds...my current living situation doesn't allow me to have them on hand or in display. I do however have a little space set aside on my desk for what I like to call my 'to read' pile. It's currently consisting of quite a few half read books and some books that I am dying to read.

The half read books;

George R.R. Martin - A Dance with Dragons
I am slowly but surely getting through this absolute beast of a book, I struggle to hold this book comfortably when reading it as it's so damn big. It the fifth (the pedant in me is screaming "it's the sixth!" book 3 is split in to 2 separate books) book in the series, another is soon to be released. I am enjoying it and have set myself a target of finishing it by the time GoT starts on TV again. I am not going to write a single plot line or name in this description as I want to ruin nothing for people who haven't yet read this far or are just watching the show. 

Trudi Canavan - Thief's Magic
Trudi is one of my all time faves, her Black Magician trilogy is up there among the best of the best, they have their own shelf in my storage, don't cha know? I am very nearly finished this book...less than a quarter remains of it, but I struggled to relate to the characters in this book and found that when I did the storyline changed back to the other character, the story is split between two main characters. I found the writing style in Thief's Magic to be a little more on the young adult side than her previous books. I will finish it...eventually.

Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl
After all the hype surrounding the movie, I bought this book on a whim during a buy 2 books for £7.00 deal, later that day realising that Mother had bought Father said book for his birthday...I started reading this and quickly found myself interested in Nick's character, I loved his chapters but found that I hated Amy's chapters and her as a character that I quickly stopped reading it. I was disappointed to say the least, but these things happen!

J.D. Salinger - The Catcher In The Rye
This has been a half read book of mine for well over a year, I really can't tell you why it still remains half read, everything I have read so far I really enjoyed and was so invested in the book, some other book must have interrupted my flow and I never picked it back up again. But I've put it in my eye line now, so I can't avoid it forever, right?

The to be read books;

Arthur Conan Doyle - The Hound of the Baskervilles
One of the many 'classics' in my collection, I went through a phase when my local HMV was still open and had all these amazing books ranging between £3-£7 that I have enough to last me a life time. I've always wanted to read this particular classic , it's not that big so I can't imagine it will take me much more than a few days to read it. 

Charles Bukowski - Notes of a Dirty Old Man
I'm not overly sure why I picked this one up, but it made it's way home with me one day and has remained on my 'to read' pile since. It is a collection of Charles Bukowski's columns for an underground LA newspaper he wrote for, it's not my usual bag but I'll give it a go. It may surprise me.

Joel Dicker - The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair
I'm going to put this out there and say that this was the book of 2014, everyone seemed to be talking about it, reading it and singing it's praises everywhere I looked. I bought it for my Dad for Fathers Day I believe, he's a quick reader to say the least but he seemed to finish this in quick time and it isn't exactly a small book. I have been wanting to read this for a long time and can't wait to start it!

How is your book list of 2015 looking so far? Is there anything particular you have to recommend?

Toodles!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment