Monday 12 January 2015

Manic Monday #48

 [Image Source: Pinterest]

The second Monday of the year is rapidly drawing to a close! However, mine wasn't so manic and I even had the opportunity to take my time with my work today...it still didn't prevent me from finishing everything at around 3 o'clock and thus inventing jobs for myself for last couple of hours.

Today, I'm not going to whittle on about the trials and tribulations I suffer at work, I was having a little think about what to write today in my spare time at work, as things are all but placid at work, but when I came home I stumbled across something that I wanted to talk about. 

I'm referring to commenters on YouTube videos on a certain video that I watched. I'm not going to point fingers, because it's not necessary, but the creator is quite a big YouTuber, this person does put a lot of effort in to their content most of the time and I really value this persons opinions.

It actually upset me slightly at the feedback I saw on this creators most recent video, there was a lot of negative comments, some people being downright rude and nasty and others offering polite yet constructive criticism.

The constructive criticism isn't what bothers me, as the content created is creative it will forever be open to opinion and constructive criticism is something that every YouTube content creator should expect, taking the comments on board if they are valid and they so wish too. 

However when people are just downright rude, to the point of being aggressive and degrading to the content-creator, then hiding behind their vicious comments, when they are challenged by other viewers, stating they are simply offering constructive criticism...it makes me quite angry.

The phrase "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" has been thrown around for years and years and I regularly see it on YouTube videos comments yet it is still a completely valid point.

Everyone, within reason, is able to produce a perfectly polite, well constructed piece of constructive criticism, without comparing the videos to other content creators or directing any of the comment towards the creator themselves. 

I think the fact that anyone can write a comment completely anonymously, without a second thought, as it has little to no repercussion to them as a person has made people truly think they are writing a piece of constructive criticism by simply stating something like "Well, that was crap." There is nothing in a comment similar to that that the content creator can take away and work on and this is where I think people are unfortunately, for the creators, becoming confused.

I have often toyed with the idea of starting out a YouTube channel and posting videos, as I love watching other peoples content, however the comments section of other peoples channels simply puts me off. I don't have great self-esteem as it is and it even crushed me to read the comments I am referring to today, I would feel utterly devastated if someone ever spoke to me that way and it does put me off ever opening myself up to the scrutiny of today's public. 

I think some people need to wake up and realise that is it real people with real feelings that make this content and not everyone has a thick skin. Putting effort in to content for the enjoyment of others isn't an easy thing and I have true respect for content creators who make interesting and true material.

And that...is all I have to say!

I feel like doing an 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh' like Chandler after he gives up on not making jokes for a week after that!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, cathartic stuff today!

I hope you enjoy this read, let me know your thoughts...

Constructive only please!

Toodles!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment