Wednesday 1 October 2014

Rivers of London & Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

https://www.sfsite.com/grc/1206/mnlg.jpg

These were 2 books that I took away with me, I'd started Rivers of London previously to see if it'd be my cup of tea enough to take Moon Over Soho as well.

Overall I did enjoy the books, I think Ben Aaronovitch has created some fantastically intreguing characters that I could honestly feel like I wanted to read about time and time again.

Peter Grant, the main character of the book is quite a diverse character, there's a lot more depth to his character than I would have initially thought when I first started it. 

Thomas Nightingale, another main character, is mysteriously interesting, Aaronovitch entices you, as a reader, with enough mysterious information about Nightingale to keep you more than desperate for more. It isn't all handed to you on a plate with this character, something I really enjoy when reading - writers need to keep you interested in sequels!

Molly & Toby are two fantastic support characters, I won't spoil them as characters, there is little by way of dialogue but their mannerisms and characteristics kept me entertained when they were featured.

The books, surprisingly, take a rather smutty turn! I thought it was aimed more at a younger audience than myself, so I was caught off-guard when I came to those parts. But still, very classily written, so I wouldn't imagine it would cause much offense...!

Out of the two, I think I preferred Rivers of London, even though I flew through Moon Over Soho in super speed. But Rivers of London seemed to have a bit more coherency when it came to the overall storyline. I, personally, found Moon Over Soho was a bit all over the place and felt Aaronovitch was trying link too many forks in to the same path. However, could have just been caused by the sheer speed that I read through it in. 

I believe there are 2 more books to the series and I will definitely be picking them up at some point. If you're looking for a highly relatable, yet magical book series, definitely try these out!

What have you been reading lately?

Toodles!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment