Sunday 5 October 2014

Autumn

On this rainy autumn day, leaf me on the ground to rest...

You have arrived with us and you're slowly stealing the green from the trees. The leaves lay golden, crisp and brown on the floor, stirring in the slight breeze. Sunshine filters, so dreamily through the branches, warming my face slightly still but nothing close as it was before. The wind has a bite, fresh and glancing on the skin, I draw my clothes around me, to fight from letting you in. It's now time for cosy & soft, layers & layers, to keep us warm in the shrinking sun and the long nights. You bring with you the rain, to wash away the dry, dusty remnants of summer; I no longer see people dotted over fields, lovers arm in arm enjoying the midday sun. Instead I see wellies, soggy dogs, scarves & hats to shield away from the coolness you bring. It seems like only a second ago I blinked and summer was here, now you've pushed her out of the way and I'm so glad you're here.

I said goodbye to Summer today, on the most glorious walk. This song came on as I was wondering through the woods, the perfect song to say farewell to summer.



x

No comments:

Post a Comment