Friday 4 July 2014

"Like a girl..."


I don't know if you have seen the new campaign that Always have started called "Like a girl", the video has been the advert to some YouTube videos and I'm sure it has probably been aired on TV and is doing the rounds on other social media sites.

The first time the ad cropped up on YouTube I dismissed the ad after the first 5 seconds, like I usually do, but I cursed myself because I actually
wanted to watch it after those first 5 seconds had aired.

The next time the ad was playing, I watched it through and quite frankly I got a bit emotional.

It annoyed me that the older women were playing to the pretense of running "like a girl", swinging a bat "like a girl", throwing a ball "like a girl" and I felt so immensely overwhelmed that the younger, beautiful, wonderful girls they had on the advert was just doing the activities how they would actually do them if they were just playing around with their friends. 

Then again I felt the same emotions when they were asking them what it means when somebody says "you do that like a girl", like doing an action in a certain way makes you less of a person because you do it like a girl and the innocent, frank responses they gave to the interviewee.

It aggravates me that it is a term that is thrown around so loosely in society. That the saying actually makes the female population ashamed of what we are and that if you do something that is "like a girl" it is perceived as a bad thing.

I am so, so, so happy that Always decided to do the campaign as it is something that needs to be addressed, young girls and women of all ages should be proud to be just that, girls

A girl is not something that is a lesser being to a boy and doing an action in any way that feels comfortable to you should not be chastised or make you feel ashamed because some fools believe that it makes you a lesser person.

I'm not going to sit here on my high horse and pretend I have never once uttered that term, because it is not true. I have done so before and watching that advert made me realise how bloody ridiculous a thing it is!

It made me watching a group of grown up women over acting and looking like idiots and young girls looking so incredibly smart because they had never heard the term used in a bad way, to realise that it isn't something that should be belittled, but something that should be embraced.

We are girls, ladies, women, birds, chicks, whatever you may refer to yourself as and we are fantastic.

Believe in who you are and what you are.

If you haven't seen the ad, I strongly suggest you watch it, it's truly touching and I personally think it is amazing.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment