Monday 9 June 2014

Manic Monday #17


The above quotation has been ringing true for me quite a lot lately.

My not-so-new-anymore job role is primarily customer service over the phone and via emails, I very rarely have rude and irritable customers to deal with, but with most jobs they do crop up and boy, do you know it when they do.


I had a man literally scream at me down the phone the other day because his card had been declined by our system, I was so taken aback I didn't really know what to say to him.

I am not very good at dealing with confrontational situations, no matter what context they show their ugly faces. It causes me to have very sudden panic attacks, my stomach drops, I feel like I'm going to be sick, my heart starts pounding, my face blushes a delightful tomato shade, whether they can see me or not, and my ears start ringing to name but a few.

I find it especially difficult to deal with situations like this, especially when it isn't something that has been caused by myself.

I have no qualms in putting my hands up and admitting I have made a mistake, we're all human and we all make them.
Another customer was rude to me today because of how much his postage cost was, there was a legitimate reason for the large cost however he still deemed it appropriate to then sent me a snooty email, where he pretty much accused me of overcharging him on postage and said he would not pay such large costs again.
I gently reminded him of why his cost was so high and reminded him that they would not be so high in the future.
If he had used his common sense before firing off a rude email to me in haste, he would have come to the same conclusion himself.
 Now that is all off my chest, I want to implore everyone to step back from a situation and figure out if the person who is about to receive your wrath is in face a messenger.
I think the world needs to stop being so quick to accuse, shout and scream and realise the world would be a better place if people were a little more patient with one another.
If you made it this far, you deserve a star
x

No comments:

Post a Comment