Monday 14 March 2016

Manic Monday #105

[Image Source: Andre Torres]

A bump back to reality was in store for me today; the first day back after a week off. It's never as bad as I think, but it's definitely not nice to be woken up by an alarm at 6.30!

During my walk from my car to the office I was wolf whistled, my head flicked around as a knee jerk reaction and I found an older man, who looked old enough to be my Granddad, leering at me as I walked through the car park. 

I instantly felt uncomfortable and ashamed, my thoughts went immediately to my outfit, was I wearing or doing something to attract the unwanted attention? 
No, I was in black trousers and black jacket and was marching to work. 
Please note - I am not in anyway condoning this sort of action if a woman is wearing 'a certain kind' of outfit, you do you and rock whatever the hell you like; I was also surprised by my immediate thought pattern.
I then wanted desperately to say something to the man, who was still leering at me, but my useless brain could think of nothing better to do than to flip the V's in his general direction, not something I'd have been particularly proud of doing! So, I stayed silent, bowed my head, feeling incredibly uncomfortable in my own skin and scuttled off to work.

I've been battling with myself all day on this;
what could I have said to him to make him realise how uncomfortable he made me feel? 
I wanted to say something witty and clever to make him think about his actions, without him just resorting to conclusion that "she's just one of them mad feminist-types."

I'm sure some of you will feel the same as me, yet some others will be thinking "he's just paying you a compliment" - I'd like to point out he absolutely wasn't. Compliments shouldn't make my skin crawl. He was objectifying m as a womanand was making it known what he thought of  by attracting unwanted attention to me.

 It has been mentioned in the media the past few weeks about the unwanted attention that women receive on a daily basis by men and I am in full support of it being noticed and acknowledged. I think IWD des a great job of highlighting such actions.
Why should I be made to feel embarrassrd to walk to work? Why should I turn around and spot a man leering at me in a disgusting way?

Three times today I felt uncomfortable to walk towards different groups of men and made a point of even crossing the road as I was dreading the fact that they might make a passing comment to me.
I know that, in general, the majority of men probably wouldn't say anything but the thought is always prevalent in my mind.

Please tell me what you might have said in my situation, I'd love to hear your thoughts and reasonings!

Toodles.
X

No comments:

Post a Comment