Sunday 13 September 2015

Compliments

 

I find it pretty amazing how an unexpected compliment can completely change your day. The compliment is even better when you don't necessarily think that way about yourself or are feeling a little uncertain about yourself.

I will be the first to admit, I am not the best at accepting compliments and usually bat them off, something I am trying to get out of the habit of doing because the person paying you the compliment doesn't want to hear how you feel otherwise, they are paying you the compliment because that is how they think about you or see you.

Today at the gym, a girl who I've seen a fair few times now, came up to me and complimented me on how 'in shape' I am and how she is envious of my figure - just before she said it I had been working out I was watching my form in the mirror and was thinking that I wanted my legs to be a bit tighter than they are - she really surprised me and took me off guard. I thanked her with no hesitation, which I surprised myself with and we had a really good chat about our workouts and she told me she was going away soon so was working really hard to improve her figure. Her compliment made me really pleased and proud of myself for the hard work I've done. I had noticed her looking at me a few times before at the gym, but I never assume that it's because she admired something about me! Low-self esteem for most of my life and all that. 

I always used to feel a little embarrassed to compliment a stranger, but I am definitely getting better - it's generally I love your nail varnish, that lipstick looks great on you etc - but it doesn't matter, it's definitely the complimenting that matters.

Compliments don't cost anything but can sometimes mean the world. If you really do like that persons outfit or that persons hair, don't be afraid to tell them!

Toodles.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment